Wednesday, August 31, 2011

WORLD'S FINEST #1 by Ron Salas



Ron Salas is a graphic designer and comic artist whose illustrations have recently graced the covers of Dracula: The Company of Monsters as well as the interiors of 28 Days Later from BOOM! Studios and his
creator-owned Existence 2.0/3.0.



His illustrations can also be found on the Comic Twart collective sketch site that features new illustrations from today's leading comic artists. http://www.comictwart.com

Ron says: I always thought that Batman and Superman worked best during the era they came from--the 40's. That was a time when evil was more concrete and defeat-able. I think part of the problem with setting their stories in our time is that true evil these days can't be defeated with fists, gadgets, and superpowers. I wanted to take them back to that time while also giving them--instead of funky leotards--outfits that they could more realistically wear from around that time. Batman's outfit is basically a bat-cloaked motorcycle patrolman while Superman is an all-american football star. By reimagining them in this way I still retain their essential core while making them seem like they could actually arise organically from the times they lived in.



Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Read more...
Batman was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Read more...

23 comments:

  1. Dopeness. Get Tom DeHaven to write it and sign me up for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly my favorite of this whole series....! No. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great art, great look, great premise. So that's where the Big 2 have been hiding.

    Would read? Hells yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the best Superman designs i've ever seen. I would pick this title up in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. The last and the finest of the 52.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! Glad you like it.
    This was a lot of fun to do and one I've been really thinking of a lot.

    Sigh, if only...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is some kick ass work sir! I wish this was a real book. One of DC 52's Finest? Hell yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is amazing, ron!! one of my favorite pieces from you. would read this in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! this is Boss, as the kids would say. They say that right? Anyway, phenomenal take on these characters while keeping the iconic hearts of them. great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kids do say that. I just heard some new kids on my block say that very same thing. And I know they're with it.

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this cover. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Concur. I've always preferred the depictions of Batman as an update pulp hero in the tradition of The Shadow, The Avenger, Doc Savage, etc.

    Would buy this comic in a heartbeat...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Freakin' awesome! DC should hire you today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always thought as well the characters should have stayed in their respective eras.. I mean, let the Kyle Rayners, Jaime Reyes, etc.. take care of the nowadays DCU.
    I personally would have loved a Bats/Supes story in the 30s/40s.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! That's a superbly reinterpretation of the World's Finest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks really sweet. Of course, I might prefer a bit more "Flash Gordon" in Superman's look, myself, but..

    Anyway, this looks like it takes place in New York, to better facilitate Team-Ups in a single big city. Awesomeness! :D

    ReplyDelete