Friday, August 19, 2011

BLUE BEETLE(S) #1 by Mike Norton




Mike Norton has been working in comics for over 10 years now, gaining recognition for projects such as The Waiting Place and Jason and the Argobots. In 2001, he became Art Director for Devil’s Due Publishing where he drew the first Voltron mini-series. In 2005, he went freelance and has since made a name for himself working on books like Queen and Country, Gravity, Runaways, All-New Atom and Green Arrow/Black Canary, Billy Batson & The Magic of Shazam, and Young Justice. He is currently drawing Marvel’s Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt, and his own weekly webcomic, Battlepug. He is also very, very tall (Editor's Note - It's true, I've seen satellite photos). See more of Mike's work at http://www.ihatemike.com/.

Mike says: Blue Beetle is my favorite DC character. Probably my favorite comic book character in general. I had a Ted Kord: Year One mini in development for like a week a few years ago and the cover concept for my Fifty Two cover comes from an pitch I had in with J. Torres around 2004 or so. The idea being that Dan Garrett's long lost grandson would claim the Blue Beetle legacy. The original pitch called for him to be trained by Booster and Beetle in a "My Two Dads" situation. Since then, Ted died and Booster became a full on time traveller. Jaime Reyes was also introduced and I loved him. So I just retooled the idea to make for a team-up type story. The talented Zac Atkinson (www.evilbyme.com) colored it for me. I hope you like it!

Blue Beetle I (Dan Garrett) was created by Charles Nicholas Wojtkoski and, later, reimagined by Joe Gill and Tony Tallarico. Blue Beetle II (Ted Kord) was created by Steve Ditko. Blue Beetle III (Jaime Reyes) was created by Keith Giffen, John Rogers and Cully Hamner.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome. That would've been such a cool series. I loved Ted Kord back in the before the JLI Bwa-ha-ha days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that costume and the concept. Good gravy, these covers just keep getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man that series sounds like it could have been sick! Outstanding cover sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted's back? I'm in. Jamie's still around? Even better. Jon, the artists you found to craft the new 52 really have my number!

    Would read? What have I just been saying?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice composition and nice drawing. I want this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great. The new Blue Beetle looks so intense and humorless, and I seriously hope I'm proven wrong. I would read this in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's just fantastic. I've always loved Ted Kord, and Jamie's been pretty fab. To have them both in a series. Honestly, this is one I'd put on my pull list in an instant. Fabulous art and concept!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea. I predict Jaime would wind up rescuing Garrett Jnr from a lot of scrapes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The street-clothes version of Ted Kord's costume pairs beautifully with the armored-up Jaime Reyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It should be noted that Mike also drew the last DC Blue Beetle series, for those who didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know more than one guy who would DIE to have a comic like this exist. Heck, this is what I was hoping for when they announced a reboot: Ted alive and mentoring a new Beetle in the form of Jaime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge fan of the Blue Beetle legacy. Having a book featuring two of them?...I'D LOVE THAT!!
    Fantastic concept!
    "Blue Beetles".. it even as a ring to it^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can we make this happen? How do we make this happen? My heart aches for this.

    ReplyDelete