Tuesday, August 30, 2011

ALL-OUT WAR #1 by Aaron Gillespie


Aaron Gillespie is an Iowa City based cartoonist and storyboard artist.  His work has been in  Negative Burn (Desperado), Golly (Image), The Wretch (Slave Labor) as well as other books.  He is currently working on a graphic novel.

Aaron says: I've always been a huge fan of the Kanigher/Kubert war comics, so it was an easy choice of what book I wanted to revamp.  I love the way those comics had multiple "panels" and tons of text on the cover, and I tried to recreate that.

I would also like to thank my pal Rick Hiltbrunner for coloring the cover. Rick is a talented cartoonist who does a webstrip you can read here www.skidmarksjohnson.com.


The Viking Commando was created by Robert Kanigher and George Evans. Read more...
Brooklyn (of the Boy Commandos) was created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Read more...

5 comments:

  1. Hell yeah! I love the crap out of Viking Commando. And you kept the awesome logo, bravo. Would read, no doubt. Great job, Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it... but is it Comics Code Approved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of anthology series, but I'm a sucker for both the Viking Commando and the Boy Commandos. And if that's the Haunted Tank in the corner, all the better. Love the cover.

    Would read? I would definitely pick up that first issue... and probably every one after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the war titles. Used to read about the Viking Commando (and Sgt. Rock, the Unknown Soldier, Haunted Tank, and my favorite, Gravedigger...). Great work on this cover, Aaron, invokes the old-school feel of the title with your fresh style. Loved seeing that classic logo again after many years...

    --B

    ReplyDelete