Tuesday, September 20, 2011

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1 by Jamie Fay


Jamie Fay is a artist/inker living in New York, NY. He's the co-creator of the new comicbook series, NeverMInds, from Drumfish Productions. Jamie's work has also appeared in the Sentinels Anthology, and many other indie titles. To check out more of Jamie's art, visit http://windriderx23.deviantart.com. To find out more about NeverMinds and other Drumfish Productions series, visithttp://drumfishproductions.blogspot.com


Jamie says: I was first introduced to the Legion with the maxiseries, LEGION LOST. I loved the characters, the art and the story. I was hooked from that point. That era of the Legion is MY Legion. Instead of staying with the status quo, as they are in the new series, I would go back to the Post-Reboot Era, that ran from 1994-2004, where the characters had more original names. Lightning Lad was Livewire. Phantom Girl was Apparition. And so on.  The big thing that I would do is get rid of the flight rings and replace them with flight belts. The Legion insignia would really make them all look uniform and allow flight. I would also compress the different Legion universes, allowing us to use characters that would never meet.

When creating my team, I knew I had to start with the big 3: Livewire, Saturn Girl, and Cosmic Boy. From there I added Legion mainstays Ultra Boy, Apparition, Brainiac 5, Triad and Chameleon. From the Post-Reboot Era, I added Sensor, Gates, Kid Quantum and Monstress. From the current titles, I added Dragonwing and Comet Queen, who I think have really shined. From the Cartoon Series, I merged Timberwolf with a few of his comicbook counterparts. I love that I had a chance to use some great characters that I am missing in the current titles, like Monstress, Sensor and Kid Quantum. All very cool characters that no one is using. If I could have, I would have added Umbra, Wildfire, DawnStar, Bouncing Boy, Leviathan(aka Shrinking Violet), Shikari and Dreamer. And the list would go on and on.

For their costumes, they are all a merging of costumes from the different universes, to help show they have all been made into one. Take Saturn Girl, whose costume is a mixture of her Post-Reboot Era and her Threeboot Era costumes. Cosmic Boy is a mixture of his Original, Post-Reboot and Current costumes. I really wanted to show the merging and also add in some of my own flair to the costumes.



When it came to coloring this piece, I had to go with one of the best colorists I've had the honor of working with, Danielle St. Pierre. Danielle is the current colorist on my book NeverMinds and she really adds so much to every piece she takes on. She adds so much depth and form with her coloring skills that really make the characters pop off the page. Thanks so much for another beautiful collabration, Danielle! To checkout Danielle's work, please go to http://witchysaint.deviantart.com so you can see first hand how amazing she is.


The Legion of Super-Heroes was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino. Read more...

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's MY Legion too! I would desperately love to read this book. Nice work, Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read this Legion! I really like the way Jamie would mix things up and I like the new characters he would put in there too. Awesome work by him and Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, paul and rich.

    i really love these guys and would have a blast getting to draw them and create some amazing stories! really take them to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! If you would like to discuss them with other like-minded, old-time Legion fans, Please join our group Interlac the Legion of Superheroes Online....at Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turning rings into belts in order to add a coherent look is a really bright idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!! The post-Zero Hour Legion was the one I grew up with, and it still holds a special place in my heart. I like how you incorporated characters and elements from the other versions (other boots?) of the LoS. It's so much more colorful than the 'Silver Age'-centric version that's out now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, confused. Why isn't this guy actually drawing this book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm... speechless... too... much... awsome...

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks everyone. i'd love to draw this book. i'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once a Legion fan, always a Legion fan, and the merging of every continuity would be cool. Don't forget the dark adult 5 years later Legion! Maybe Kent Shakespeare can guest.

    Would read? My Legion loyalty is pretty strong even if I didn't like this reboot, but I do.

    ReplyDelete