Wednesday, September 7, 2011

HAWK AND DOVE #1 by Rich Bernatovech




Rich Bernatovech is an artist/writer from NYC. He is the co-creator, writer and inker of the acclaimed Independent series, SENTINELS from Drumfish Productions. Currently his writing work includes Drumfish’s new series, NEVERMINDS and the up-coming OGN, BUGGED. You can learn more about Rich’s projects and Drumfish Productions at www.drumfishproductions.blogspot.com and www.facebook.com/pages/Drumfish-Productions/117660288272651 . You can also see more of Rich’s artwork at www.ricber.deviantart.com
Rich says: I would redesign Hawk and Dove’s costumes a bit to make them less 90s. Their wings would be energy and help show that they get their powers through magic. I would play up the order and chaos angle to them and ground them more in the mystical world instead of making them crime fighters.

Hawk and Dove were created by Steve Ditko and Steve Skeates. Read more...

8 comments:

  1. Nice! I'd definitely prefer this one to the official version that came out today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got to see this piece during its creation and it got me to want to read about these two. They were in Birds of Prey but in very supporting roles. They always seemed too 90's and cliche. What Rich did was take their original idea, made them modern and taking them back to their roots and on a new journey! I wish this was what they were actually doing the these two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wouldn't take much to outdo Liefeld and company, but this is fantastic! I loved reading the Kesels' run when I was a kid, and it sounds like this would be a fairly natural continuation of the '89 series, with a gorgeous visual update. I'm sad we're not getting this. In a perfect world, DC would see this and hire Rich immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful composition. Absolutely great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cover, love the idea, but I wish we could see *somebody's* feet. Once I realized they were both in the same pose, I couldn't shake the feeling that this is the story of two amputees who gained superpowers to help them overcome their shortcomings. Great stuff, but there's something about those poses (especially Dove's) that just doesn't quite make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A REAL change! So much more contemporary! Liefeld's version is so close to the old look that it didn't spark the least amount of interest in me. If DC is is trying to be more relevant, letting these two's aesthetic stay as is isn't the way to do it; pointless relaunch. Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman's costumes are too iconic to mess with, but these two could have REALLY used the help.
    Love what Rich did with them. Very stiking. The designs are say so much more about the characters. Considering their pose, I don't see how their feet would show in that position. Rich got it spot on. What's frightening is the sad excuse for breasts Liefeld gave Dove on his cover; Looks like they were amputated and dropped back into her tights

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following this blog since it got plugged over at Project Rooftop and what do I find today, but my old pal Rich. Nice design here!

    -Keefer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now there's a proper reboot. I love that Rich wants to make them LESS 90s not MORE. And he's got a good handle on a direction to make these heroes interesting and different.

    Would read? Yes, something I can't say of the current mag.

    ReplyDelete